Key factors to consider when creating a healthy lifestyle:
Our lifestyles and the food we eat have the POWER to prevent and treat human disease. By the same token, they also have the POWER to create them.
What we choose to eat and drink.
Research shows whole food, plant based diet will give us a great chance to live a healthy life. Choose foods of different colours and varieties. This will ensure a wide intake of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Foods rich in antioxidants are also worth paying attention to as low levels of antioxidants can cause negative health issues.
Keeping your fluid levels topped up is important for optimal health. Not drinking enough will affect your functionality in many different ways. All fluid counts, although distilled water being preferable. Green tea is another way to hydrate and also increase antioxidant levels. Regular tea and coffee are ok if kept to a minimal. I’m not a fan of fizzy drinks and don’t drink them at all. The same goes for alcohol, it’s been over four years since I last had an alcoholic drink.
Dr Gregor is a well respected American physician who advocates plant-based diets for a healthy lifestyle. You can find out more information at his website here.
I recommend checking it out for all the latest research and advice on a plant based lifestyle.
Is largely unavoidable. Adding strategies and having a focused mindset can reduce its negative impact.
- Avoiding the situation may sound straightforward but the simple steps are often the ones we overlook.
- Remove negativity out of your life. If you can’t then you need to learn to accept it.
- Coping strategies that help when the situation has overtaken your ability to fight back.
- Writing your thoughts down is an effective way of seeing your thoughts rather than hearing them.
- Meditation is a great preventative method to aid a positive frame of mind. It also great to help control and reverse negative thoughts and behaviours.
- Mindfulness works on bringing the wandering mind from dwelling on the past or obsessing about the future. Feel your breath and place your attention in the present moment.
Fitness and exercise.
Lack of exercise is a problem for most of us due to the demands of modern life. Exercise requires an increase in energy. This can be a big perceived problem as large numbers of us are walking around in a daze with barely enough energy to keep our eyes open. The truth is our body will adapt to its environment and the need for increased energy will be met.
“The only workout you will ever regret is the one you don’t do”
Mindset- Create your own ideals around exercise.
- Walking, cycling and swimming are great ways to exercise which can also be shared with the kids.
- There is something for all abilities and fitness levels don’t make that a barrier.
- You don’t need lots of fitness gadgets and gizmos to get started the basics will do just fine.
- Make it fit with your interests, and find something you enjoy!
Poor sleep habits can be linked to a number of health issues, not to mention have a profound effect on our well-being.
- Setting bedtimes and wake ups will help your body adapt to the routine.
- A peaceful place to sleep helps us relax and unwind.
- Reduce screen time at least an hour before bedtime.
- Journal before bed to eliminate nagging thoughts.
“There will never be the perfect opportunity to start”
Just a few ideas that have helped me create a better life for myself, and those around me.